Sedation dentistry allows the patient to be relaxed and calm during a dental appointment.
Are you nervous or even a bit scared to go to the dentist? We can help you reduce some of that anxiety. We are pleased to offer our patients the option of comfortable, safe, and effective sedation dentistry.
What happens during Sedation?
Here’s how it works: When you arrive, you will be escorted into the treatment room where your vital signs will be taken. You will be asked to take a drink of water that is mixed with the medication to make you drowsy. You will be given a pillow, blanket and headphones. You remain aware of your surroundings, but are less responsive to external stimuli and have less pain.
After you are comfortable, the Doctor will begin your treatment. You will be sedated just enough to be unaware of the treatment. Someone is with you the entire time. You will never be alone. You’ll wake up refreshed, with little or no memory of the procedure. Due to the sedative effects of the medication, you will need someone to drive you home.
Sedation Dentistry is not just for those who have anxiety. It can also be used for those in with an extremely busy schedule that require multiple procedures. This way multiple procedures can be performed with one longer appointment instead of multiple appointments.
Not all dentists are licensed to perform conscious sedation. They are required to complete advanced training beforehand. The Doctors at Forest View Dental are thoroughly educated on Sedation Dentistry and know when to refer as necessary.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Will I feel any pain?
- No. You will be numb.
- Will I be unconscious or sleeping?
- No, you will be in a deeply relaxed state, and you will be responsive.
- How long will I be relaxing?
- Depending on your needs, from two to six hours.
- Will someone need to accompany me?
- Yes, due to the sedative effects of the medication, you will need someone to drive you to our office and home again.
- Can I eat or drink anything before my visit?
- It is best to avoid eating if possible for 6 hours prior to your visit.
- Can children undergo Sedation Dentistry?
- Yes, Sedation Dentistry can also be performed on children. The medication is mixed with your child’s favorite juice. There is no pill for them to swallow. However, some children have a tendency to fight the effects of the sedation medication more than adults and we have found that they have a lower success rate with sedation.
- Call our office at (920) 733-1111 to learn more about sedation dentistry.
- Learn More About Sedation for Adults and Children:
Adult Sedation Dentistry
Children Sedation Dentistry
Dr. Tom LaSelle’s bedside manner is amazing! I’ve gone from panic attacks in the dentist chair to smiles & joking. Tara and Laurie are amazing too! Thank you so much!! - Joy A from Neenah
I think you all are amazing! You really make it easy to come to the dentist. Everyone is so friendly and gentle. Thank you. - Angie L from Appleton
Great customer service, no pain dentistry at its best! You actually care about your patients and it shows from the moment I walk in the door, till the minute I leave. - Stacy R from Appleton
My family loves you guys! You make the kids so happy! - Bonnie P from Appleton
The patient is #1 at Forest View Dental. Dr. LaSelle and his staff always do their best to take care of my needs. They are professionals in every sense of the word. - Mike O
Dr. Grotenhuis is very thorough and answers all my questions. He is wonderful, and I would recommend him to anyone! - Colleen C from Appleton
Dr. Stacey is wonderful. The entire staff has always been kind, thoughtful and caring! - Pat O from Menasha